Join us for a special behind-the-scenes tour of Newsom’s Mill led by park ranger Jacob Hardin on Saturday, September 15, 2018 starting at 10:00 am.
The original mill, which was one of the first in our country to have its mill works inside a housed structure, was built by William B. Newsom in the late 1700s. The original mill was destroyed by flood in 1808 and was rebuilt up stream from the original location. William and his family came to America from England after “Conflict with the Church of England” and settled briefly in Virginia. At the time, America was encouraging immigrants and William Newsom was granted 550 acres in the western territories as a reward for bringing eleven family members to America. William’s son, Joseph M. Newsom, eventually assumed ownership of the mill and constructed the current turbine-powered grist mill in 1862 of hand-dressed limestone cut from Newsom’s Quarry, a mile south.
***Tour will meet in the parking lot.
© Copyright 2023 , Historic Nashville Inc. All Rights Reserved. Design & Development by NSFS.