1109 1st Avenue South, SoBro, built 1921
Built in 1921 with donations from the Meharry Medical College alumni and trustees, the Hubbard House served as the retirement home of Dr. George W. Hubbard (1841-1924), a founder and head of Meharry for 44 years. During his tenure, more than one-half of the South’s African-American physicians, dentists, and pharmacists graduated from Meharry. Designed by local African-American architect Moses McKissack and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, this building is the last remnant of the original Meharry campus, which relocated to North Nashville in the 1930s. In 1970, the house was converted for use as the parsonage of the Seay-Hubbard United Methodist Church. Currently vacant and in poor condition, plans for restoring the African-American historic landmark have stalled, leading to members of the community to worry about its future in the rapidly redevelopment SoBro neighborhood.